Friday, March 4, 2011

Lecture Homework

Reverend Ethan Acres resides in two main worlds, the world of art and religion. But as I read and look at his pieces online, he, in my opinion has made religion into an art. I do consider what he does as art, because to me art is a freedom of expression, and he is expressing himself. Art is not necessary a visual experience, but the visual art does not have to be like the others. In one sermon he appeared before his listeners as a representation of a character from a show. He did not do this just for fun, and is that not what art does, express meaning. If you look at some of his “regular” art, you may have trouble finding the meaning. Like I have stated before, his main concentration in his art is religion of the Christian faith. So we can automatically assume that each piece of “regular” art has some sort of religious meaning behind it. When he was asked about some of his pieces, he would refer to a verse in the bible that relates with that piece. So in a way he is actually visually, and possibly mentally, preaching to you. When I first saw some of his pieces, I could not really come up with a logical meaning behind it, until I found out his main focus is religion. After I had learned this, it was easier to find the meanings. Also when viewing a multitude of his pieces at once, I felt like I was in a church for Christian artist’s and this was the sermon. So many lessons and preaching’s flowed through me head with every picture. The best part about his work in my opinion is that he is serious about his work. He has not only put his heart and soul into his work, but he has put in something else most humans cherish, our choice and beliefs of our chosen religion. Most pieces by today’s “top” artist usually do not cover the topic of religion. If rev. Acres were around the time of the Renaissance and he did the art that he does today, he probably would be seen as a blasphamist. I say this because almost every single piece was about religion had to have religious symbols or was made to act out famous stories from the bible. As for rev. Acres, to me his pieces are more representational and symbolic. He does not use vivid hints in his piece; he in a way hides his messages in a unique way. If you were to compare Reverend Acre’s pieces to mine, you probably will not see much in common. As for most of my pieces are very basic and geared toward a more realistic look, but as for him his pieces sometimes has a lot going on in it, the colors may be over exaturated, and/or they may be more surrealistic. His art is unlike anything I have seen from one person. He has a variety of “looks and styles” to his pieces. Usually artist’s have one distinct look but he does not, all his pieces have different looks.




No comments:

Post a Comment